The Hackettstown Free Public Library provides meeting room space as a community service, for purposes that enhance the Library’s mission to enrich the lives of all members of our community with opportunities for learning, entertainment, cultural enrichment, and access to information.
The Library allows civic, cultural, educational and charitable groups the use of the Library conference room and other public rooms within the Library as availability permits and when they are not in use by the Library. Access will be provided on equal terms, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of the organization or individual requesting use of the meeting rooms. Use of meeting spaces by groups not directly related to the Library does not imply the Library’s endorsement of those meetings or activities.
Fundraising events are permitted only if sponsored by the Library, Friends of the Library, or other organizations affiliated with the Library.
Reservations will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis. The reservation of Library facilities shall be the prerogative of the Director of the Library, in accordance with policies and procedures approved by the Library Board of Trustees. Any organization or individual (sponsor) desiring to schedule the use of a room must complete the Meeting Room Application (also available at the circulation desk).
Since the Library only has one meeting room, please check our calendar of events before submitting an application to make sure there is no other event taking place at the time you are requesting.
- Meetings considered to be political, advocating for or against a particular candidate or position, private meetings, or social events are not permitted.
- All meetings must be open to the public and free of charge.
- The room is not available for use by individuals or groups that are offering seminars in order to solicit customers or business for their organizations.
- All literature distributed at meetings must be clearly marked with the name of the sponsoring group; “Hackettstown Free Public Library” shall not be included in any such literature. The library’s address may not be used by any organization as its headquarters address.
- A Certificate of Insurance may be required for reservation of library facilities.
- Permission to use the library’s meeting rooms in no way implies library sponsorship or endorsement of any group or its program.
- Due to demand by community groups and Library-sponsored programs, organizations requiring guaranteed regular time slots cannot always be accommodated.
- Events must end 15 minutes prior to the regular closing time unless prior arrangements are made with the Director.
- The sponsor may arrange food and beverage service in the meeting rooms, but no food may be carried into the main portion of the Library.
- At the conclusion of the event the sponsor shall promptly clean up any debris and remove from the premises all materials and equipment provided by the sponsor. The room must be left in the same condition as found at the beginning of the event. Trash must be bagged and placed where directed. Kitchen facilities must be left clean. All costs to the library to repair damages to the room, its furnishings and fixtures or any other library property or property on loan to the library, beyond ordinary wear and tear, will be charged to the sponsor.
- Events may not disrupt other library patrons. Event attendees are subject to all library rules and regulations and may be asked to leave if they do not abide by them. The sponsor is responsible for maintaining proper order on the part of all participants. At least one responsible adult (18 or older) must always be present.
- The organization/individual will adhere to all Town ordinances. Alcoholic beverages and illegal substances are prohibited by local ordinance. Use of open flames or candles in the meeting room is prohibited. Smoking or vaping are not permitted in the library.
- The library reserves the right to refuse permission for use of the rooms to any group or individual that does not meet these requirements.