The Hackettstown Library invites you to participate in this free program that encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she begins kindergarten.
The concept is simple, but the rewards are priceless!
Read any book to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler (yes, you can repeat books!). The goal is to read 1,000 books before your child starts kindergarten.
Does 1,000 books sound like a lot?
If you read just one book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year; that is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years.
If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think – so get started! Here’s how.
- Register your child on our website.
- Download the FREE app (search “1000 Books before Kindergarten” on your iPhone or Android). You can also stop into the library to pick up a paper log (or download one from the list below) if you prefer that method!
- Read the instructions here. (Spanish/español)
- Take a look at the list of suggested books to read to your child here.
- Start logging your books either on the paper log or on the app. Click the link below to find the log for the number of books.
- Bring your log or mobile device to the Library at each milestone (50 books, 100 books, 200 books, 300 books, 400 books, 500 books, 600 books, 700 books, 800 books, 900 books, 1,000 books) and receive a small reward.
- When a child reaches 1,000 books, he or she will have their picture taken and posted on our Facebook page (with your permission).
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can participate in this program?
Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate.
How long will the program take?
The program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together.
How many of my children can participate?
All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten)! Make it even more fun and read as a family!
Can I count a book more than once?
You can! Record the book as many times as you read it!