The Hackettstown Library invites you to participate in this free program that encourages you to read 1,000 books with your child before he or she begins kindergarten.
The concept is simple, but the rewards are priceless!
Read any book to your newborn, infant, and/or toddler (yes, you can repeat books!). The goal is to read 1,000 books before your child starts kindergarten.
Does 1,000 books sound like a lot?
If you read just one book a night, you will have read 365 books in a year; that is 730 books in two years and 1,095 books in three years.
If you consider that most children start kindergarten at around 5 years of age, you have more time than you think – so get started! Here’s how.
- Register your child on our website.
- Download the FREE app (search “1000 Books before Kindergarten” on your iPhone or Android). You can also stop into the library to pick up a paper log (or download one here) if you prefer that method!
- Start logging your books either on the paper log or on the app.
- Bring your log or mobile device to the Library at each milestone (50 books, 100 books, 200 books, 300 books, 400 books, 500 books, 600 books, 700 books, 800 books, 900 books, 1,000 books) and receive a small reward.
- When a child reaches 1,000 books, he or she will have their picture taken and posted on our Facebook page (with your permission).