Positions Available: Two (2) Part-Time Library Assistants
The Hackettstown Free Public Library is seeking TWO enthusiastic individuals to provide excellent customer service in the position of Library Assistant. Under close supervision, the Library Assistant performs a variety of routine nonprofessional library tasks and does other related duties as required.
These are two part-time, 14 hours per week, positions. This schedule includes some mornings, afternoons, evenings, and rotating Saturdays. Work involves responsibility for performing detailed clerical tasks in support of the effective daily operation of the library.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Answers phone and routes calls accordingly.
- Welcomes patrons entering the library.
- Registers new patrons, updates cards, and renews expired library cards.
- Checks material in/out.
- Assists patrons with information requests and/or finding material.
- Instructs and assists patrons in using the automated catalog (OPAC).
- Instructs, assists, and monitors patrons using public PCs.
- Fields reference & assistance questions to appropriate staff.
- Fields patron complaints to appropriate staff.
- Handles basic math calculations with precision; collects fines and fees.
- Shelves returned materials
- Manages requests/holds
- Prepares materials for transit to and from other libraries.
- High school diploma required
- Prior library experience preferred
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to learn new software quickly
- Customer-focused: warm, friendly, helpful, courteous, and energetic with a positive attitude
- Knowledge of popular books and media and a desire to share that knowledge with others
- Able to lift books, stand, shelve on low and high shelves
Submit the following information to Rachel Burt, Library Director, at email@example.com.
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
Applications will be accepted until close of business on February 28, 2020.